Saturday, November 14, 2009

Martial arts punching and headaches?

I have been training in a Chinese martial arts which is very external. (its a derivative form of Shaolin) The drills require repetitive training of one motion, most often a type of punch technique. My teacher insists I train with punching hard to develop power. I noticed my punching power has considerably strengthened, however, I also am now often getting headaches after training. (I train for 30-60 min. per day, usually doing 20 minutes of hard punches, about 10 different techniques in all, then I do a set of long Tai Chi which takes 30 minutes) The headaches stem around my neck area/shoulder. Has anyone else had this? Anyway to alleviate this, while still continuing to train power? Any thoughts from practicioners appreciated. (I think all boxing type arts may experience this) Thank you

Martial arts punching and headaches?
Hmm.. have you had a check up at the doctor since you started training? You may want to have your blood pressure checked and talk to the doctor about your problems. I'm not a doctor, but they sound heart or blood related.
Reply:Whats is your breathing like? dont hold your breath - remeber to exhale well on the punching movement and inhale deeply of relaxed return - the headaches could be coming from this





alternatively are you relaxed enough on punch delivery? the best punches require a fluid movement with a pivot through the torso





make sure you are not tight through your upper body - if you are leanr more relaxation techniques and become more fluid in the movement





remember power actually comes from speed which requires complete relaxation not muscle tension





you may also need to specifically address some muscle balances - you need a good balance netween the anterior chain -





front shoulders, chest, abs and the posterior area - rear deltoids, trapezius, rhomboids, spinal erectae





get a properely trained gym person to assess this for you








I spent a lot of time developing my posterior deltoids and this immensely helped the final phase of delivery





complimenting your current art with soem grappling work will alos help even out your muscle balance








at the end of each workout - have a very hot shower to loosen your muscles - if need be then ice for 20 minutes around the back of your neck





a massage once every 2 weeks also helps


No comments:

Post a Comment